Our March Challenge will be a Plant-Based Eating Challenge. We are going to focus on eating fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, etc. We will eat food with life to improve our health and wellness. These foods are full of fiber, nutrients, anti-oxidants, healthy carbs and more. I will be posting resources and recipes here and on Facebook all month to help you stay on track. I’ve listed some meal plan and recipe resources below.
GOAL: Our goal will be to make at least one meal each day All Plant Based. You can step it up, if you like, by doing 2 plant based meals a day. If you have any allergies or medical issues* that don’t allow you to eat in this way, this isn’t the challenge for you.
For our plant-based meals, we will eat;
- All fruits. These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned.
- All vegetables. These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned.
- All whole grains – Examples: whole wheat (unbleached), brown rice, quinoa, oats, barley, grits, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat tortillas, rice cakes and popcorn.
- All nuts and seeds – Examples: walnuts, peanuts, almonds, soynuts, pecans, pinenuts, pumpkin seeds, etc.
- All legumes. That means BEANS of all kinds.
- All quality vegetable oils, like olive, canola, grapeseed and sesame.
- Beverages: spring water, distilled water, brewed tea you make yourself, etc. You should focus on water being your main beverage to see the most benefit.
- Other plant-based foods/condiments: tofu, soy products, tahini, natural plant-based sweeteners (in moderation), seitan, vinegar, seasonings, salt, herbs and spices.
Foods we aren’t eating for our Plant-Based meals: Fried foods, food smothered with butter, fast food, meat (of course), dairy, artificial sweeteners (especially in drinks), white rice, white flour, alcohol and processed sugar.
Go ALL Out – This is a great time to try vegetarianism or veganism and make all of your meals plant-based. Give it a try for a week or four.
Bonus Challenge: Join our March DietBet™ for more incentive to lose weight! –Compete with BWLW members in a 4-week weight loss challenge to lose 4% of your starting weight. Everyone who wins splits the pot. Click here for the invite and get all the details!
March 7th is the Start Date, Initial Weigh-In: March 05 – 06 PST
Resources to help you get started:
- Check out our free 4 week vegetarian meal plan for recipes and a shopping list.
- Eating Well Magazine’s 28 Day Vegetarian Meal Plan
- Sample Vegetarian Meal Plans from Livestrong
- PETA’s Two Week Vegan Meal Plan
- Vegan Soul Food Recipes
- Healthy Vegetarian Recipes from Cooking Light Magazine
- Recipes from VegWeb.com
- The Daniel Plan – A great updated version of what many know as the Daniel Fast. Faith Based.
*Medical Disclaimer: If there is any reason why you should not change your diet and how you normally eat due to an ailment, chronic illness, allergy or other medical issue, Do Not participate in this challenge. When in doubt, speak with your doctor before joining any weight loss challenge or starting any eating plan.