Hey Ladies, We are going to step up the work we began in November with our Holiday Slim Down during December. For December we will focus on 3 areas (Details Below): Changing our Thoughts, our Actions and our Habits so that we can achieve true lifestyle change. No list of suggestions, meal plan or tips about weight loss works if you are not going to be consistent about making decisions and taking actions that will shape your lifestyle. This challenge is about YOU and what you are willing to DO.
Bonus Challenge – December DietBet™ – Compete with BWLW members in a 4-week weight loss challenge to lose 4% of your starting weight. Everyone who wins splits the pot. Click here for the invite and get all the details!
Dec 7th is the Start Date, Initial Weigh-In: Dec 05 – 06 PST
Goal #1: We will continue to cut out junk food, fast food and foods that do not positively contribute to our weight loss goals. However, this month I suggest you take 2-3 cheat days for Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve, holiday parties or events. On these cheat days you can eat your holiday favs and have some alcohol in moderation. Portion size is key!! Take advantage of our FREE 4 Week Meal Plans (with recipes and shopping lists) to help you stay on course with your eating.
Goal #2: You will commit to workout a minimum of 4 times per week for a minimum of 45 minutes. I suggest that you workout at home if the winter weather becomes an issue. Here is our December “25X” workout. You can do it at home with no equipment. It’s a great addition to regular cardio workouts. Do it 3-4 times a week. Modify and do less reps if you need to until you can do all 25 reps of each exercise. Keep in mind any physical issues or medical issues you have. Don’t hurt yourself and talk to your doctor before starting any serious workout commitment if you have concerns.
|Get the December Challenge Wristband – I’ve created a wristband for this challenge. Get it for just $3.50 (includes shipping and handling). The band says, “Thought = Action = Habits Change 3 = Changed Life”. I will be giving some of these away in December.|
Goal #3: Evaluate your progress with the Thoughts/Actions/Habits Exercise and regular journaling of your experience during December. You will need index cards, a sandwich bag to carry them around in (of your container of choice), and a small notebook or journal.
Thoughts/Actions/Habits Exercise – 4 Steps
- Card 1 – Consider the thoughts that lead you to eat the wrong things, neglect your exercise habits or anything else that contributes to you being overweight or unhealthy. Also, consider the thoughts that lead to emotional and stress eating. On the first card you will write down 2-3 thoughts that you need to change. On the back of that same card your will write down why those thoughts are untrue or unproductive. Here are some examples:
– Thought: I will never lose weight – Truth: Weight Loss is possible for me with time and commitment to new actions
– Thought: Eating this food will make me feel better – Truth: Food is not medicine. I don’t need to medicate my feeling with food. I will address my emotions in other ways.
- Card 2 – Consider your actions that are leading to weight gain and decreased health. Think about the actions that are produced by the negative thoughts you wrote down on the first card. Now, take an index card and write down 3-4 actions that you need to change in order to lose weight and get healthier. On the back of that card, write down 3-4 new actions you will commit to doing in December. Here are some examples:
– I don’t exercise regularly – I will commit to exercise at home 4 days a week
– I don’t eat healthy food – I commit to eating clean 80% of the time with 2 cheat days each month.
– I make excuses about my bad habits – I will be honest with myself and others about my bad habits and focus on changing them.
- Card 3 – Habits are the actions you do habitually. These can be things that have haunted you all your life. These can be the habits you use to cope. These could be seriously damaging habits. This is not just the things you do every once in a while but what you do on a daily to almost daily basis. On this card, write down 2-4 habits that you know you need to change. You may not be able to stop doing these things in one month, however it is important that you make the connection between your habits and your health/weight loss goals. On the back of the habits card, write down 2 ways that your habits are impacting your weight loss and health goals in a negative way. Examples of habits:
– I will stop smoking.
– I will stop negative self talk and beating myself up about my eating.
– I will stop binge eating.
– I will stop drinking too much alcohol
– I will stop ignoring my health and neglecting my medications
– I will stop giving up
- If you need more cards, use more cards. After you done the exercise, put all of your cards in a sandwich bag or other container so that you can carry them about with you. At least 2 times a day (I suggest early in the morning and before bed but you should pick the times that work for you), you will review the cards and then answer these 3 questions in your journal/notebook. Consider your weight loss goals, but also you physical and emotional health as well.
- How are my thoughts affecting my weight loss and health goals today?
- How are my actions impacting my weight loss and health goals today?
- Are there any long time habits impacting my weight loss goals and life in general today?
- Each weekend, on Sunday, you will review your answers for the week and answer one additional question on that day: What have I learned about my thoughts, actions and habits this week?
There are no right or wrong answers. You may have a lot to write or you may have nothing to say. The goal of this exercise is to get you to think beyond just food and exercise. I want you to realize that the sum of your thoughts, actions and habits form your new lifestyle as you strive for a healthier life. Write whatever your are led to write.