My name is Tiffany! When I was two months shy of 30, I went to my younger sister’s college graduation and afterward I saw a picture of myself. I really could not believe that I had put on so much weight! My children were 1 and 3 years old, so I knew I had some “baby weight,” but I had no idea how much! I weighed 196 pounds at 5’3, but I deluded myself into thinking I was not “fat” because I hadn’t hit 200 pounds, even though I was probably only 2 value meals away! At that moment, I vowed to lose 50 pounds by my 31st birthday. The foundation of my entire success has been my mantra of “I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me!” Philippians 4:13.
I joined Weight Watchers and learned how to control portions and make healthier choices. After I’d lost my first 25 pounds, I noticed that I just looked like a smaller version of my flabby self. After more research, I learned more about clean eating and started to follow the 80/20 rule, which is eat good foods about 80% of the time and then feel no guilt about having what I wanted the other 20%.
My initial exercise involved purchasing a used double jogger and walking 5 days per week. Then, I began challenging myself to jog and each month I increased distance and speed. I eventually met a trainer who was willing to come to my house one hour every 6 weeks because that was all I could afford! But, I maximized my results by using that one hour training as the guideline for lifting my husband’s old weights at home! I never paid a cent to a gym membership! As I got stronger and stronger, I decided to tackle Beach Body’s INSANITY with Shaun T! I felt like such a CHAMP and the changes in my body were phenomenal!
By my 31st birthday, I hadn’t lost 50 pounds, but I’d lost 40! I was able to take off the last 10 over the course of a few more months after my birthday. As a result of my year and a half commitment and my belief that God had better for me, I eventually made it to the status of Lifetime Weight Watcher Member and earned all of their awards along the way! Had anyone told me just two years ago that I would not only be fit, but be a weight loss resource to others, I would have laughed heartily! My best weight loss advice is:
1. Set a goal and start. A goal gives you direction. Even if you don’t hit it on time, you know you are MOVING in the right direction.
2. Celebrate sucesses like losing 0.2 pounds, or maintaining. Ounces add up to pounds just like pennies add up to dollars.
3. But, the most valuable lesson I learned was that anything that we commit to God turns our right! God was MY power source. Find yours!