January 2013 Green Smoothie Challenge
Hey Ladies! It’s time for Black Women Losing Weight’s January Challenge for 2013! It’s a new year and a time when many of us are planning our weight loss and wellness goals for the next 365 days. I want you to start off with something that we’ve done before, something that has worked for so many BWLW members. That is GREEN SMOOTHIES! In September, we did a smoothie challenge and lots of ladies got great results. I posted a ton of recipes and you will be able to use many of them during this challenge because they are green!
What are green smoothies? ! A green smoothie is a smoothie that has fresh leafy greens in it, such as collard greens, kale, swiss chard or spinach. This is in addition to the most common smoothie ingredient: fruit of all kinds! You can also use various vegetables, fresh green herbs, nut milks, protein powder, yogurt, raw nuts, seeds (chia, flax), and more!
OUR GOAL FOR JANUARY: We will be using green smoothies for meal replacement. You will drink a green smoothie that is at least 24 oz twice per day to replace two regular meals. The goal is for you to be as full as you would be with your regular meals so you will likely drink more than the minimum 24 oz. Drink as much as you like.
What should you do for your other meals? You are NOT just having 2 smoothies per day. That would not be enough food. You will likely have a total of 3 meals per day. Eat as healthy and as fresh as possible. If you load up on processed food and junk food, you won’t see the weight loss results that you’re looking for. You will likely eat 1 more meal per day for a total of 3. You may also want to have a healthy snack 2 times per day. It all depends on your overall eating and calorie goals.
To give you all of the info you need to be successful I’ve written a new ebook to serve as your guide. I’m so excited! I worked hard to bring this guide to you for the new year so that you can start 2013 off with a bang and kick start your weight loss efforts. I’ve personally bought a lot of smoothie books over the years and I can tell you that this book is packed with not only 80 great recipes, but tons of information on how green smoothies can boost your health and wellness and well as your weight loss efforts. Click here for more information on what you’ll learn in this book.
Drink Green Smoothies: A Beginners Guide and 80 Great Recipes for Health and Weight Release
By Black Women Losing Weight Founder, Ebony “Ajima” Jackson
Get my new ebook today for just $7.99.
Get yours today! Download the PDF and read it on your computer (on on your iPhone with the Adobe Reader app).
I will also be posting a new green smoothie recipe each day so that you have a lot of options to try. I offer 80 recipes in my book 40 basic recipes and 40 more advanced recipes with more ingredients. I will post as much info as I can to help you be successful.
Exercise Challenge: Your goal for January will be to engage in some type of movement or exercise for at least 1 hour per day for 3-4 days per week at a minimum. Many of you are doing far more than this so I suggest you step up your game intensity wise or time wise (extra 15-30 min of exercise). If you haven’t been exercising, the beginning of the new year is an awesome time to start. Play outside with your kids, walk the dog, use a workout dvd, or dance around your house. Get that body moving!
STAY ACCOUNTABLE EACH WEEK – As always, we will check in each weekend in January on our online community and on Facebook to tell the BWLW sisterhood how we are doing and to get support. You will visit blackwomenlosingweight.com to check in via your blog there or as a status message from your profile. You can also post to our Facebook wall.
Green Smoothie Tips:
Tools: You will need a blender for this challenge. There is no need to get a new blender if you have a working one. If you want to invest in a good blender, I personally like NutriBullet or Vitamix. Both will really grinds down the greens and heavy ingredients you’re using in your green smoothies. If you are looking for a good cheap blender, go with those that do a good job with ice. Also, do some research online before purchasing a blender if you have questions about your potential purchase. I cover blenders more in depth in my book.
Try going GREEN: Green smoothies are powerhouses of nutrients and enzymes. The key ingredient that makes these smoothies so powerful: leafy greens! Leafy greens in our smoothies give us:
- lots of chlorophyll. This helps to purify our blood, enhance our immune system, reduce inflammation, improve circulation, and rejuvenate the body.
- lots of fiber, which helps improve digestion & keep you regular. Being regular is KEY to detoxing the body. Fiber also helps the liver, kidneys, and gallbladder.
Note: If you have diabetes or blood sugar issues, this may not be the challenge for you. If you are on a low carb diet, you may not be able to work 2 fruit smoothies into your daily food goals in terms of carb load. In either case, I suggest you try low GI fruits – green apples, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, tomatoes, or cucumbers. Closely monitor your blood sugar as you would with any diet changes and consult your doctor if you have health issues that would make this Challenge dangerous for you.
- Do I have to buy the book above to participate in the challenge? No. There is a lot of information out there on green smoothies. I’ve just created an all in one guide and done the research for you.
- Can I use protein powder? – Yes, but you need to know what is in it, how many calories it has and how much nutrition you are getting. There are some great plant-based powders out there that you could consider. Utimately, you won’t need them because greens have a lot of protein. Also, most of the recipes I recommend will not have protein powder in them.
- What if I’m on a plan where I’m eating 5-6 small meals per day? – You can still substitute meals for smoothies. However, you have to know how much food/nutrition you are replacing. For example: You want to determine if 2 of your small meals could equal 1 smoothie in terms of calories, fiber, vitamins, etc. You will need to do some research to determine what will work with your current plan.
- Instead of water can you use 100% fruit juice or soy milk? – I suggest that you use filtered or purified water in your smoothies. Bottled juice, even 100% pure is lacking in enzymes and can be very high in fruit sugar. Many times it also has preservatives added. Also most commercial juice lacks fiber, causing the body to absorb it quickly. This can create unwanted blood sugar spikes. Nut milks like soy milk can be used. Look for ones that are unsweetened.
- What detox symptoms should I expect? – While participating in the challenge some of you may experience a cleansing reaction. This will be more common if most of your diet is vegetarian or vegan, but when ever you dramatically clean up your diet…detox can happen. When you introduce large amounts of high quality, living food into your diet, your body may take the opportunity to “clean house” by dumping accumulated toxins into your bloodstream. This can cause flu like symptoms, headaches, fevers, runny nose, rashes, nausea etc. Don’t be put off by this. Your body is cleaning house and fat is on that list as well. These detox symptoms may last 1-3 days. The best thing to do is to drink a lot of pure water and get extra rest. Also, you may constipation or have loose stools as part of detox symptoms.