When most people think of exercise and they think pool—normally the first thing they think of is swimming. However, there are many exercises you can do in a pool that can help you reduce weigh, maintain a healthy weight—as well as build a stronger cardiovascular system.
Pool Exercises that burn fat fast!
You don’t have to be a marathon swimmer in order to burn calories in the pool. You can actually increase resistance by allowing the water to work against you. You may not realize that water puts pounds of pressure on your body that can have the same effect on you as your free weights or workout machines in the gym.
Steps to have a successful experience in the pool
Before we suggest that you to “jump right into the deep end” so to speak we will give you some tips to successful and effective water exercise that will burn fat and tone your body as well!
- Go to your doctor and discuss the options you have. If you have any physical or medical issues he or she can advise you on any exercises that you should avoid so you can prevent injury. A doctor or physical therapist can also advise you on how working out in water will be easier on injured areas of your body as well.
- If you can’t swim then lessons are a must. You can drown in a cup of water so if you trip or have an accident in the pool, knowing how to fully swim could save your life. Do not put yourself in danger.
- Get the necessary swim outfit—You may prefer a swim cap and goggles. If that is not quite your style—you are advised to have a well-fitting swimsuit so you can perform movements freely without giving others a “free show”. You can even add a t-shirt or swim skirt if you feel more comfortable with more coverage.
- Drink water in the water—just because you are in a pool doesn’t mean dehydration is not going to occur—you do not hydrate through osmosis! If you are working out for more than 30 min, you may need a water break.
- Wear water shoes so you have enough traction. You can buy swim shoes and they can give some increased security to those who are afraid of slipping or falling.
- Exercise in water that is waist-high or lower only.
- Make sure that there is a lifeguard at the pool you are working out in just in case you have any issues or accidents.
Now for the exercises
- Wall walking: Walk up and down the length of the pool as many times as you can to burn up to 17 calories a minute and strengthen your core and back muscles. Swing your arms back and forth for more burn.
- Water jogging: You can start by water jogging and allow the water to create calorie burning resistance. Do as many laps as you can as fast as you can (safely). This is also a great warm-up before exercising.
- Water planks: These are just as great to strengthen the upper body in the water as they are on the land. You’ll need a noodle floatation device. Hold it vertically and press toward the pool floor until you are completely horizontal and hold for as long as you can. Repeat as many times is as comfortable.
- Pool Cardio: Now that you have learned to walk in the water, your goal is to run! Keep your body aligned and make as many laps as you can and as fast as you can (safely). Wanna tone those thighs? Then use your legs only to move against the resistance of the water and you have it made! Use a noodle or a floatation device for balance until you feel comfortable.
- Water biking with the noodle! Straddle the noodle with it curving into a “U” shape up your mid-section front and back. Peddle as you would a bike. For the more advanced people you can do this in the deeper part.
- Pool lunges: You can do these in the same fashion that you do on land. Start in the lunge position and switch legs while you lunge forward as many times as you can! Be careful.
Well there you have it. Great ways to tone and strengthen your body and burn maximum calories in the water. The water can be the best gym you could ever have. Feel free to elaborate on any of those exercises and make them work for you. Go at your own pace and be SAFE!