Tip #24: Create a Home Gym to Save Money. The number one way that a home gym can help you lose weight on a budget is that you won’t have to pay for a gym membership. This is the most obvious benefit, but let me share another 5 tips with you.
- Time is Money: When you can roll out of bed and workout or workout as soon as you get home it can be a huge time saver. Whether using less gas or having time for other things, you will see a savings on top of more convenience.
- World Class Personal Trainers in Your Living Room: Workout at home with workout DVDs and have some of the best trainers in the world as your exercise coaches. Bob Harper and Dolvet Quince in the Biggest Loser DVDs. Tony Horton in P90X. Jillian Michaels in her various workout DVDs. Chalene Johnson in the Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire series. Shaun T in the Insanity series. Leslie Sansone’s Walk Away the Pounds series. These are just few titles that feature some of the best trainers in the world. In your home gym, you can workout with them on the cheap compared to what it might cost to workout regularly with a local personal trainer. Here is a list of top workout DVDs.
- No Drama – Save yourself from the drama of going to the gym. Yes, you can avoid feeling awkward, anxious or self conscious about your body. You can avoid the meat heads who are grunting and dropping weights. You can avoid the people who are just there to hit on women or be seen. At home, you can focus on getting your workout on, not on who’s in the gym and what they are doing. Less distractions, More focus!
- Low Cost Equiptment – You can start with workout DVDs, a yoga mat, dumbbells (3 different sizes), an exercise ball for around $75-150 dollars. You may be able to get second hand workout equipment from friends and family or at a discount on sites like Ebay. Put together your equipment list based on the exercises you like to do. In the future, You might even work up to buying an elliptical machine or spin bike if you are even more serious about working out at home vs. paying for a gym membership.
- Your Apartment/Condo’s Workout Room – If you have a free, well maintained workout room in your condo, apartment or community club house that can be your home gym. Many residents don’t take advantage of gyms on the premises where they live, and they can be basically empty during non peak hours (Most people workout right after work or in the morning.