Lesson #6: Today’s weight loss lesson is super simple, but also very powerful. You will need a mirror for this challenge, preferably a full length mirror (use what you have if you don’t have a long one). You’ll also need pen and paper.
Stand in front of your mirror and look at yourself for at least 60 seconds. Take up to 3 minutes to really stare at what you see and take it all in. Don’t censor your thoughts, just let the assumptions, thoughts and emotions flow. Don’t judge what you are thinking or feeling.
Part 1 – Write down the answers to these questions. Write whatever comes to mind and is your truth. No judgement.
- When I look at my face I feel ________, because ________.
- When I look at my body I feel ________, because ________.
- When I consider the shape of my body I feel _________, because________.
- I think that my body is _____________. (use 1-3 words to complete this sentence)
Part 2 – Consider what you like and don’t like about your body. Write down 5 things you like and up to 5 things you would like to change.
Part 3 – Ask yourself whether the things you would like to change realistic and why or why not? I want you to have a dialogue with yourself about the reasons you want or need to change. Are you being truthful. Are you being hurtful to yourself. Can you actually accept some of the things you want to change as good or unique.
Part 4 – How do you feel now? Do you feel down and deflated? Do you feel enlightened? Do you feel motivated? Do you feel proud of yourself? Do you feel healthy? It is time to review your answers and decide on your next action.
- Think about how you would like to feel about your body?
- If you are feeling down about the way you look, you have to decide what the true source of those feelings are? Did someone tell you that you’re too fat or not attractive, or is that feeling coming from you. If you don’t like things about the way you look, and it’ can’t be changed how will you find happiness.
- If you are happy with the way you look but know you could be healthier, what are your next steps? What actions are you willing to take?
- What positive action can you take today? If you love your body, take actions that will make it healthier and keep it healthy. If you want to change some things, start brainstorming about the actions you can take.
We have to be real with ourselves about how we feel about our bodies. Our body is our temple and we have to show it love. Love may be positive change. Love may be accepting that you will not be a size 2. Love may be leaving alcohol, soda and fast food alone. Love could be walking for 20 minutes a day or training for a marathon. You have to find out what love is for you.