Goal for Week 2 of our December Challenge (Dec 6-12): Commit to feeding your body, NOT your emotions. If you are dealing with emotional eating, stress eating, overeating or food addiction, get to the REAL root of your issues.
Have you committed to eating right and exercising but emotions, situations and stress keep derailing your efforts? Are you eating as a response to hunger or as a response to that meeting with your boss, a disagreement with a loved one, boredom or depression? Sometimes food is not the problem, it’s just to tool that we use to soothe and comfort ourselves. This is one of the reasons why giving up our favorite foods can be so challenging, because are giving up the thing we’ve been medicating our emotions and feelings with. If this information is ringing true with you, this is the week to find SOLUTIONS and RESOURCES to help you break free from the cycle of emotional eating. This is not something that can be fixed with healthy eating and exercise alone. You have to get to the ROOT of what is causing you to self medicate and seek comfort in food.
The articles, plans and books we’ve indexed below can help you create a strategy to feed your body and not indulge your emotions or addictive behaviors.
- Emotional Eating: 5 tips for overcoming binge eating
- Action Steps for Emotional Eating
- Tips for having self control over your eating habits
- Tips for dealing with stress eating
- Hidden Sugars – The Many Names of Processed Sugar
- Is Sugar Addiction Real?
- 5 Strategies for Overcoming Emotional Eating – Psychology Today
- 3 Ways to Beat Emotional Eating – Oprah.com
- Food Addiction: A Serious Problem with a Simple Solution – Authority Nutrition
- The Struggle of Recovering from Food Addiction When Food is Everywhere – La Weekly
- 12 Step Program To Conquer Emotional Eating – Once And For All! -BodyBuilding.com
- Overeaters Anonymous – 12 Step Program
- Food Addicts Anonymous – 12 Step Program
- Food Addiction Recovery Food Plan – Kay Sheppard
- Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous
- The Daniel Plan
- Dr. Fuhrman’s 3 Day Sugar Detox – Dr. Oz
Books: – Invest in your emotional health! There are some great self-help books and guides out there that can help you with emotional eating, binge eating and stress eating.