Weight Loss Story of the Day: Vanessa lost 85 pounds in 2 years and got her husband to join her on the journey. She was motivated by wanting to get off of 5 meds for ailments, including diabetes and high blood pressure. Here is what she shared about what actions she took to get healthy:
“Hello, my name is Vanessa Lawrence and I have lost 85 lbs. I began my fit journey in 2010. Prior to that I had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and irregular heartbeat. I’m not sure how my weight got out of control, but I knew I did not like being this young with these health problems. Nor did I like taking 5 different medications each day to treat these problems.
So I took action! I began by hiring an nutritionist. She taught me how to read labels, how to divide portions, how eating whole fresh foods could heal me better than medication and the importance of eating to live, rather than living to eat. Making that change alone I dropped 20 pounds. BUT I WANTED MORE! Next, I hired a personal trainer. He taught me different cardio and strength training exercises to add to my journey and next thing I know I’m down 85 pounds. It took about 2 years and I continue to keep it off by doing all of those things I learned from my nutritionist and person trainer. I do have to add that my husband went on this journey with me. I know that is why I have been so successful. He eats what I eat, we keep each other motivated, and its a way for us to spend quality time together.
- Pack and cook your own meals.
- Eat 6 small meals throughout the day.
- Add weights to your workouts at least 2-3 times per week.
- Do high intensity interval training. HIIT helps burn fat and gets you out of any plateaus you may hit along your fit journey.
- Have fun! Working out shouldn’t be boring. If you find yourself getting bored try something new such as: hiking, yoga, boxing, running outside, etc.”