Weight Loss Success Story of the Day: Akili lost 70 pounds. She has dealt with numerous issues associated with emotional eating, negative self-esteem and self-neglect before embracing healthy eating and exercise. She has claimed victory and is now helping other to do the same. Find out more about how she lost the weight.
What was your motivation?
I knew I had issues with food but had no idea that my impulsiveness, indecisiveness and self neglect were all issues associated with not understanding my Purpose. I was so sick of being confused. I had no direction and was constantly jumping from one idea/business/school, to the next. Though I have been fighting this battle for 19 years, I didn’t get serious until 2011 when I really began trying to figure out who I was. Once I realized I had value and worth, things began to change!
How did you change your eating habits?
This has been the hardest part. Food has always been an ally, so to begin looking at it as a potential enemy seemed counterintuitive. I was diagnosed with diabetes 7 years ago and that didn’t motivate me to change, so I saw no real way to break the addiction. However, once i began understanding my purpose I wanted to do better with food. I believed that I deserved to live the life God envisioned for me and I knew I couldn’t get there if I was sick. I began making better choices here and there. In 2013, I was finally ready to change, so I went through a doctor supervised weight loss program. The support and accountability were awesome. I had tried to do it on my own, and each time I failed. I didn’t have room for anymore failure so I made drastic changes, quickly. Processed sugar and refined carbs are triggers for my emotional over eating. Now, I eat protein, veggies and fruit. I follow the 90/10 rule. 90 percent of my food choices are from my healthy list, so the remaining 10 percent can be something less healthy.
What did your workout routines look like?
I hated exercise until Zumba came on the scene. In the comfort of my own home. I worked up a sweat and had fun in the process. I did Zumba daily for 30-45 mins and even became an instructor. I also added weight training for 30 mins a day.
What was your starting weight? What is your current weight?
7 years ago, I was 225 pounds. Today, I am 155 pounds. Height: 5’5″.
How long did your transformation take?
It took about a year, once I was committed.
What advice do you have to offer to others on this weight loss journey?
Don’t sweep your emotions under the rug. Black women are notorious for “getting it done, no matter what.” While it seems strong it just creates issues. When we medicate ourselves with food we are running from our needs and emotions. We need to be present in our own lives and gain a clear understanding of what we’ve been Purposed to do! Today, I stay true to my purpose by helping other women on their path to become free from food. Serving others keeps me feeling whole, which is very important in the recovery from food addiction.