1 year ago, I started my journey. After being overweight all my life, I decided to stop my weight from going up and down and adopt a lifestyle change. I decided to try something different this time around with weight lifting/strength training and small bursts of cardio. I absolutely fell in love with it!
More importantly, nutrition was a big part of my success. Nutrition is 80% of the equation when it comes to how you look. It gives you the fuel to get the results you want and then training comes into play (for the other 20%). In the beginning of my journey, I ate healthy. It was about 85% lean/clean eating with consistent exercise/lifting 5 days per week. That regime helped me drop fat and build muscle, which was great.
To go next level and start to reveal my muscular development, I realized that eating 85% lean wasn’t going to be enough. I started tracking my macros and got extremely serious diet wise! I wanted to take it to the next level and the changes started coming quick!
My exercising has always been consistent. I workout 5-6 days per week. I am on a lifting rotation, so I work a different muscle group each time I workout. The biggest key is finding the right balance of cardio with strength training.
People often ask me how I lost my stretch marks. I use coconut oil on my skin and also I lost the marks from “body recomposition.” That is the attempt to lose as much fat while building lean muscle (swap). Due to how I train, I’m able to lose fat at the proper speed each week and give my skin enough time to tighten around my body over the new muscular growth. That is why my skin and body looks tight and smooth! “Cardio only” training will not do this for you!
My biggest learning lesson was understanding patience. You can’t be on “Your Time” when trying to do this. This generation has been led to think that wraps, waist trainers, 21 day fixes, smoothies and 30 day challenges will help you obtain these results. The only thing that gets this type of results is adopting a lifestyle change. The biggest game changer for my success was changing my mentality. I listen to audio recordings and feed my mind with success principles. My mind is so strong and sound now that no matter how hard it gets and long it takes, I don’t care anymore! I just keep going. I tune out the critic in my mind and just like that, it becomes so easy to wake up ready to crush my goals!
I actually tracked my entire journey on my Instagram page @fitmelle from day 1 until now. I will be tracking my entire journey to fitness modeling, which is my goal! You can do it, Queens and Kings! I tell the community that follows me all the time that you have to treat each day like a new day and push forward. Remember that time is going to pass anyway, so who cares how long it will take to obtain your dream body! Why not go for it? Change your mind and your body will follow.
Check out the other post we did about her story to hear about how she lost over 50 pounds and transformed her body.